Opportunities to work with us
You can join us for a
- direct-doctorate PhD (for bachelor graduates through the ETH CS Direct Doctorate),
- external master's theses,
- full-time PhD positions (if you have a master's degree),
- full-time Postdoc,
- internship (2–6 months on a full-time project).
ETH Zurich is an amazing place to work on exciting research! Check out some facts about ETH Zürich.
PhD positions (for bachelor graduates)
The Department of Computer Science at ETH Zürich offers the Direct Doctorate to exceptional undergrad applicants, which includes tuition waivers and a 7.5–12 kCHF/year stipend for a 2-year research master's program before automatically enrolling into the PhD program with PhD student employment and compensation.
Requirements are listed in detail on the Application and admission page of the CS Department. Please apply for the Direct Doctorate during the application window November 15 – December 15, 2020 and prepare the necessary application documents, plus a Statement of Purpose addressing your research interests. Then submit all your documents through the application portal.
External master's theses
In exceptional cases, ETH admits external students for a master's thesis at a department here. If your expertise and interests match with the topics of our research, please contact Christian for opportunities.
PhD positions (ETH requires a master's degree)
We're always excited about talking to strong candidates about PhD opportunities. We are particularly interested in candidates with backgrounds in:
- electrical engineering with experience in embedded systems, sensors, digital signal processing including learning-based methods, analog systems, materials,
- bioengineering with experience in physiological sensing and modeling, biomechanics, imaging, predictions,
- software engineering with experience in interactive systems, Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality,
- statistics with experience in machine learning, data science, big data analysis, prediction and inference.
Note that to enroll in a PhD, ETH requires candidates to have a master's degree. If you're interested, please email Christian with your materials, including
- a short statement of purpose,
- your transcript of records (for both undergrad and master's).
Make your email specific to our research!
While we have hired into the postdoc opportunities available in our group, we support strong candidates for their application to the ETH Fellowship program (deadlines March 1 and September 1). This opportunity fully funds a two-year postdoc stay including salary, equipment, travel, conference attendance, etc. If you are a strong candidate in one of the areas of our work, consider reading through the program description here and email Christian if you are interested in applying.
Undergrad internships (next deadline: December 2021)
Undergrad students can apply for the Student Summer Research Fellowship at the Department of Computer Science. The dates, duration, and eligibility criteria cannot be changed for VISA purposes. After admission, the VISA process is straightforward, you'll receive a stipend and housing! If you are interested, please apply until December 15, 2021 on the department's summer fellowship page.
We will host grad-level interns in exceptional cases. Such internships are limited to 3–6 months fulltime, compensated, and available for students enrolled in master's or PhD programs. The goal of such a research internship would be conducting a research project with the scope of an academic publication. Please include a short statement of purpose in your email.
ThinkSwiss Scholarships for undergrad students from India, Australia, and Singapore
If you are a student in one of these three countries, you can refer to the ThinkSwiss Research Scholarship pages to support your stay in Switzerland for up to 3 months and the deadline for applying is January 25, 2021.
Facts about ETH Zürich
- ETH has one of the top computer science departments in the world (e.g., 3rd in a recent CS ranking).
- ETH has world-class researchers, plenty of collaborations, and excellent facilities and funding.
- Full scholarships are available for outstanding B.Sc./M.Sc. students interested in a PhD.
- PhD and postdoc positions are fully funded including social benefits.
- Zürich is consistently ranked among the top destinations in the world for quality of life.